If you’re worried about someone else's mental health and wellbeing, there are a number of things you can do:
  • Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112 from a mobile phone).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere they feel safe. 
  • If you're worried about someone, you can check in with them and see how they are, and if they feel comfortable to talk through any concerns.
  • Trade unions are organised groups of workers who come together to support each other in the workplace or place of study. There are a number of trade unions at the University of South Wales. For staff there is UCU, Unison and GMB and for students there is the Students' Union. 
  • Report a Mental Health Concern. Students and staff can report if they, or someone they know, are struggling with their mental health using the University’s Mental Health Concern Form. A Wellbeing Adviser will review your form and get in touch to provide appropriate support. 
  • As a student you can also reach out to our  Wellbeing Service which offers a range of help and support. You can book an appointment with the Wellbeing Service, with a Wellbeing Adviser who can talk you through the support available.
  • As a staff member you can access support via the Staff Support Scheme, your manager or HR via HR Business Partner hrbusinesspartner@southwales.ac.uk
  • Seek External Support - There are a number of external specialist organisations that provide specialist support, including counselling. A list of organisations can be found here.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened